Saturday, July 21, 2007

National Champions!!!

Lucas, today we are national champions! Hahaha. It's the best race I've ever had, at least that's what i think! The day started in an interesting manner, meeting Clarence and Weili in the heats with 1 direct final slot. I reached mac abit earlier today just to soak up the atmosphere. Then coach did something unexpected, asking me and weili to play cards with him. I drew a 4 diamond. It's heavens will i guess. It decided things and the fight will be the finals where everything is all fair. I understand where he's coming from and i have no problem with it. It just means slightly more water time. Very interesting methods, it removes the dilenma of the coach and the paddlers don't have to kamikaze each other. First time experiencing this. Semis was pretty normal. Coach told us to dare to go longer. So we tried. Things went well.

Everything then came down to the finals. Coach said he didn't dare to predict the results. Our boats were just very evenly matched over 1000m. Lucas showed me today that I still have lots to learn as a sportsman. His visuals of scenarios and how to react is quite accurate.
"As iron sharpens iron,
so one man sharpens another."
-Proverbs 27:17

We started well, led and lost the lead at 250m. clarence and weili proceeded to pull away through the middle 500. We were on the verge of giving up quite afew times. But we trusted the plan to help us finish strongly and we did. Lucas was pushing all the way and he's amazing. He can last forever. Kudos to lucas, couldn't have done it without him constantly pushing me in trainings.

The times aren't super special or anything but today's race was a really mental one. I was shifting between giving up and trusting the plan to the end. Reasoning to myelf that just that little more would do. Just that little more. Today we showed our resolve. I don't think many will understand what i'm feeling but this is a very special race to me. It stands out from the others in many ways and i won't forget this anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home